Quality & Freshness
Because we started as a fresh fish market, we’ve operated with an unparalleled commitment to freshness, quality and food safety since the very beginning. Back in the 1980s, we opened a centralized plant with a laboratory and Quality Assurance technician. And then when we outgrew that space, we built a state-of-the-art facility on the Boston Waterfront in 2003 where we could further elevate and showcase our standards. Here’s some of what we do:
Quality Control Center - Lab
- We quarantine all ready-to-eat shellfish for 48 hours until samples indicate their safety.
- We measure mercury levels in tuna and swordfish to ensure purity.
- We test tuna, swordfish, bluefish and mahi-mahi for histamines to confirm safety.
Quality Control Center - Plant
- Our manufacturing plant is a BRC Certified facility, which is a internationally recognized Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) Certification for food manufacturing.
- Our GFSI rating is AA, which is the highest designation for an announced audit.
- We operate under strict GMP guidelines to ensure safety of our products.
- All managers are seafood HAACP certified, beyond standard manufacturing requirements.
- All managers are certified internal auditors, beyond standard manufacturing requirements.
- Most of our fish cutters have over 20 years of experience, so each fillet is handled with great care.
- We do thorough and intense environmental testing to confirm proper sanitation in excess of regulations.
- We perform allergen testing on equipment to ensure there’s no cross-contact.
- We make our own ice and we independently test both our water supply and the ice itself for purity.
- We track the temperature of the product all along the route to ensure safety.